In this class, we will be using a web annotation tool called Hypothes.is to mark up online readings as we read them. Hypothes.is is free and is created by educators. It works very simply. Create an account, join the group I set up for our class, install the Chrome extension and you're ready to go. For this assignment, you'll complete those steps and then annotate the Learners section of the national edtech plan.
Follow these steps.
You may wish to reference the Quick Start Guide for Students as you complete these steps.
1. Go to hypothes.is in a new tab/window.
2. Create your account. It would be helpful if you could please use a username that allows me and your peers to identify you. Thanks!
3. Add the Chrome extension. Click here if you need help with this step.
4. Join our group. While you are logged into your hypothes.is account, click this link to join our group. https://hypothes.is/groups/eixQ87nL/educ661ol-sp-17
5. Learn to annotate. 2-minutes to view the video below to learn how to leave your annotations on the website so only our group members will be able to see them. https://youtu.be/-Ah1Be-sz28
6. Annotation Instructions
For this assignment you will leave at least 6 annotations on this page of the edtech report. I have left one annotation on the page to help you started. As you read, highlight words and phrases and add annotations that do any of the following:
- Summarizes a concern or question you have.
- Provides an alternative point of view.
- Connects the report to something you've learned in this class.
- Connects the report to something you're doing in your class/school/district.
- Shares a link to an online resource (article, blog post, video, etc.) that has informed you about a topic.
- Provides a critique.
Please also engage with the annotations left by your peers. You may reply to any annotation, which allows you to have conversations about the topics covered in the report.
7. Ready? OK.
- Go to our Group Hypothes.is page
Click on the link to "Learning - Office of Educational Technology."
- Once you are on the "Learning" webpage, activate hypothes.is using the icon in the Chrome toolbar.
- Then in the scope selector, be sure to toggle from "Public" to our group name.
- To see a video of these steps again, click here.
- Reference the Annotation Tips for Students guide for additional guidance.
You will not submit anything here in Canvas for this assignment.